Backing up and restoring¶
If you need to uninstall cert-manager, or transfer your installation to a new cluster, you can backup all of cert-manager’s configuration in order to later re-install.
To backup all of your cert-manager configuration resources, run:
kubectl get -o yaml \ --all-namespaces \ issuer,clusterissuer,certificates,orders,challenges > cert-manager-backup.yaml
If you are transferring data to a new cluster, you may also need to copy across additional Secret resources that are referenced by your configured Issuers, such as:
- The root CA Secret referenced by
- The token authentication Secret referenced by
- The approle configuration Secret referenced by
- The ACME account private key Secret referenced by
- Any Secrets referenced by DNS providers configured under the
In order to restore your configuration, you can simply
kubectl apply the
files created above after installing cert-manager.
kubectl apply -f cert-manager-backup.yaml
If you have migrated from an old cluster, you will need to make sure to run a
kubectl apply command to restore your Secret resources too.